Anders Norman from Sweden suffered the horror of a house fire last week. Surviving the tragedy was his Apple iMac, which despite first impressions (below), still works.
"Unfortunately, the whole house and all things in there completely destroyed, so even the iMac. What's funny is that it is still in operation. While damaged from smoke and dust and partially melted, but yet, however in operation," Norman writes (translated from Swedish).
"After I plugged in the burned power cord and wiped off the worst dust from the screen I pressed the melted start button. Imagine my surprise when the startup sound sings from the speakers! The screen turns on and the machine connects to the wireless network."
"The mouse works flawlessly and the scroll wheel as well. Firefox starts and I take up the article from the local magazine about the fire ... Fantastic!"
"On Friday I bought a new iMac at the Apple Store here in Umeå, which I now rejoice."