Mac industry views and opinions

It's free to , to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: Have you installed iTunes 11?

Posted 04 Dec 12

Apple has released its iTunes 11 at last, and we want to know what you think of it.

Have you installed iTunes 11? If yes, do you like it? Have you spotted any problems?

If you haven't installed it, we'd love to know why not.

Let us know here.
Xhris2210 replied…

Posted 04 Dec 12

Ashleigh Allsopp,

Installed, but not yet had a chance to have an extensive look. First impressions are it appears quite different superficially - no coverflow any more, but I think it's a nice touch that items in the now default album view [which is similar for films] gives a drop down list of contents that's colour-keyed to the artwork.

What I'd most like is the ability to merge or split accounts. I find I have several [which have come about by using different emails - and this prompted by Apple when setting up an @me or @cloud account]. They need different passwords which can't be reused, so you frequently find you get locked out and have to reset, which can be difficult to keep track of. One account I can't get into at all - it seems associated with my tag minus any email suffix and none of the security questions work - it's a mess.

The look of it is OK...
MacOS10 replied…

Posted 04 Dec 12

Ashleigh Allsopp,

Not for me I'm afraid, I'm currently using a G4 Powerbook at home and that will only run 10.5.8 - iTunes 11 requires 10.6.8 and so is Intel-only!

Why Apple can't make a version that works on 10.5.8 is beyond me. Even if some of the fancy features such as iCloud aren't in it. iTunes is effectively just a way to buy content and manage your iOS devices - in its crudest sense it's a conduit to copying files to your iPad/iPhone/iPods. Does that really need 10.6.8 to accomplish that task? Does it f**k!!!

I'm starting to hate Apple. I need to upgrade my laptop next year, but the way Apple treat their loyal customers I'm seriously considering ditching Mac OS X and going to Windows 8 instead. I say that as a Mac user of over 20 years, and it saddens me to say that but that's what I'm thinking of doing at the moment.
fingerpost replied…

Posted 06 Dec 12

MacOS10,
You have hung on doggedly Steve!
I only managed to last until 2007, before getting an intel iMac.
The feeling that the world was leaving me behind was palpable back then.
AlanAudio replied…

Posted 06 Dec 12

Ashleigh Allsopp,

I installed it yesterday and it seems pretty good so far.

I never used coverflow after the first few days, so won't miss that. The album view with thumbnails of the covers works a lot better for me.

I particularly like the coming up feature. I have eclectic musical taste ( to put it mildly ) and young relatives seem to love exploring my music collection. Previously they would create temporary playlists and I would delete them, but now they just click on stuff as they find it and add it to top or bottom of the upcoming list.

It took me a while to work out where to see what's coming up ( striped menu icon on LHS of info section at top of screen ), but everything else was quite intuitive.

Market Place

Synology

Synology is dedicated to taking full advantage of the latest technologies to bring businesses and home users reliable and affordable ways to centralise data storage, simplify data backup, share and sync files across different platforms, and access data on-the-go. Synology delivers products with forward-thinking features and the high quality technical support.

row.get(

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

row.get(

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

row.get(

Twitter - not news

row.get(

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message