Has your six-year-old cousin been making unauthorised IAP purchases on your iPhone? Do you want to re-download an app that’s not on the App Store any more? Feeling nostalgic and want to listen to the Busted album you bought on iTunes when you were 13? Thankfully, there’s an easy way to see your iTunes purchase history to keep track of your purchases as well as identify any rogue ones.
Beyond that, there’s even a way for you to download previously purchased items, even if they’ve been removed from the App Store (although the same can’t be said for iTunes).
Here, we show you how to view your iTunes purchase history, as well as how to download past iTunes purchases.
How to see your iTunes purchase history
While you can see apps you’ve previously downloaded on your iOS device, you need access to iTunes on a PC or Mac to get an overview of your entire purchase history including music, ringtones, movies and books. If you haven’t already, make sure you’re running the latest version of iTunes for Mac or PC. If you want to automatically open iTunes and sign in to your Account Information page, click this link - if not, follow the instructions below.
1) Open iTunes. If you haven’t already, sign in with your Apple ID by selecting Account > Sign in.
2) Select Account > View My Account and enter your Apple ID password for verification.
Once on the Account Information page, simply do the following:
1) Scroll down to Purchase History and select See All - it should be to the right of your most recent purchase. Give it a few seconds, and your entire purchase history should appear.
2) If you want to get more details on a specific purchase, click the arrow to the left of the order date. You’ll find information including a breakdown of individual items within a purchase, along with the date, order number, invoice number and other information.
Read next: How to remove card from iTunes & App Store
How to download past iTunes purchases: Mac and PC
It’s one thing being able to view all your purchases, but how can you access them? The process differs slightly between iOS and Mac/PC, so we’ve broken this section into two - for iOS devices, see below.
1) Open iTunes and make sure you’re signed in to your Apple ID (see above).
2) From the menu bar, select Account > Purchased.
3) All your purchases should be displayed in list view. Select "Not in My Library" and the type of purchase (Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps and Audiobooks) you'd like to re-download on the right-hand side. Alternatively, you can search by name via the Search bar on the left-hand side.
4) This should filter your purchase list, allowing you to find the app, song, movie or audiobook you’d like to re-download. Once you've found the purchase, simply click the download button (cloud with an arrow pointing down) to download the item to your library.
Read next: How to download your iTunes library on Mac
How to download past iTunes purchases: iOS
While it’s fairly easy to view your purchases on a Mac or PC via iTunes, it’s a slightly longer process on iOS due to the iTunes Store and App Store being separate apps. Before we go any further, make sure that you’re signed in to iTunes on your iOS device by going to Settings > iTunes & App Store.
1) Open the App Store app on your iOS device.
2) On the menu bar at the bottom of the page, tap Updates.
3) Tap Purchased > Not on This iPhone to browse your previously purchased apps.
4) Once you find the app you’d like to re-download, tap the download icon on the right hand side of the listing.
Music, Films and TV Programmes
1) Open the iTunes Store app on your iOS device.
2) On the menu bar at the bottom of the page, select More > Purchased and select the type of purchase you’d like to find (Music, Films or TV Programmes).
3) Select Not on This iPhone and find the media you’d like to re-download. Once you’ve found it, tap it to bring up the iTunes listing and tap the download button to download the item to your device.