The iPad Pro is an amazing device, with a beautifully crisp 12.9in display coupled with powerful internals and the Apple finesse that we’ve all come to know and love. It provides users with more screen real estate to multi-task (thanks to iOS 9) and enjoy their favourite TV shows and movies, but wouldn’t it be great to be able to use it as a second screen?
It seems that a number of ex-Apple engineers agreed, and developed Duet display – an app available for iPad (all iPads, not just the Pro) that allows you to use the tablet as a second (retina) display not just on your Mac, but your PC too. It’s an ideal solution for those of us that travel and work, and only have access to a small-screen laptop like Apple’s 12in MacBook or 11.3in MacBook Air, as it effectively doubles the size of the display, allowing users to be more productive.
Duet Display also provides limited touchscreen support, allowing you to tap and swipe your way around Mac OS X – something that up until now has been pretty difficult for Mac users. It means you don’t have to spend your time moving your mouse between the two screens, which becomes especially laborious when using a trackpad and again, enables users to be more productive.
Read next: iPad Pro vs the competition
How to use your iPad Pro as a second display
Here’s an overview of how to use your iPad Pro as a second display using Duet Display, with more in-depth instructions below:
- On your iPad, download Duet Display from the App Store
- On your Mac or PC, head to the Duet Display website and download Duet for Mac/Windows
- Run installer on your Mac/PC and follow installation instructions
- Open Duet Display on your iPad Pro and plug it into your Mac/PC
- Voila! Your desktop should now extend across the two displays, ready for use. To disconnect, simply close the Duet app on your iPad
1) On your iPad Pro, open the App Store and install Duet Display – at the time of writing, it costs £11.99. It’s a universal app, so it’ll also be available for use with your iPhone.
2) On your Mac or PC, head over to the Duet Display website and install the Duet companion app for Mac or PC. This is an important step, as the companion app allows your iPad and Mac to ‘talk’ to each other. Follow the installation instructions, and restart your Mac to complete the installation.
3) On your iPad Pro, open the Duet Display app and plug it into your Mac or PC using a Lightning cable (or 30-pin cable if you’re using an older iPad).
4) The iPad Pro should be recognised by the Duet companion app, and your desktop should now extend across the two displays. You’re then ready to go! Quality settings can be tweaked via the Duet companion app on your Mac or PC to provide higher graphics, smoother refresh rates, etc. and to disconnect the display, simply close the app on your iPad.
Read next: The best iPad Pro cases, covers & bags