In this feature, we are going to look at how to record the screen on your iPhone. Screen recording tools enable you to capture the video display on the iPhone (or iPad). Display capture apps and recording devices are perfect for gamers who want to show off their video gaming skills, or anybody looking to demonstrate how an app or iOS feature works.
Capturing the video display of the iPhone is not as easy as taking a screenshot, and there is no built-in function provided by Apple (we are sure they’ll get around to it eventually).
Is there an app that enables you to record the iPhone display?
The good news is that there are apps that enable you to record the iPhone display without requiring any special hardware. One of the most popular apps for recording the iPhone screen is Display Recorder. With Display Recorder installed on your iPhone, you can quickly record whatever is going on with the screen.
The bad news is that Display Recorder was removed by Apple from the App Store, and you can now only use it with a Jailbroken iPhone (it used private APIs, and that is against the App Store terms and conditions). You can get Display Recorder from the Cydia store (the jailbreak equivalent of the App Store).
If you want to go down this route, you can jailbreak iOS 7.1 using a tool called Evasi0n7. The website, and jailbreaking tool, Redsn0w has more information. Your jailbroken iPhone has an app called Cydia installed; this works like the App Store, but houses apps Apple would not allow on its store. Search and download Display Recorder.
- How to download YouTube videos to your Mac
- Ten tips for QuickTime Player 10
- Best Mac for Video editing
- How to use and share an UltraViolet movie on your iPad or iPhone
- How to play any video file or codec on a Mac: From AVCHD and DAT to GIF and OGG
Here is how to use Display Recorder app to record the iPhone screen:
- Open the Display Recorder App.
- Tap Settings.
- Choose Record Type > Audio & Video.
- Tap Capture Method > Direct Access.
- Tap Record.
- Tap the red Record button.
- Press Home and choose your App or Game.
- Press Home and tap the Red Display record bar at the top of the screen to return to the app.
- Press Stop.
How to view and share your recorded display video with other people
In Display Recorder, you can find the video you have captured in Recorded Items:
- Tap Recorded Items.
- The Top item is the one you last recorded Tap it to play the video .
- Tap Share and choose Upload to YouTube to send the video directly to youTube.
- Tap Open in Other Apps and choose either Dropbox (or another cloud service like Google Dive, or Box) and tap Save to save the MP4 file.
You should now be able to view the video file in Dropbox on your Mac computer. Here you can edit or share the MP4 video file using QuickTime (or any other video editing program).
How can I record the iPhone display without using jailbreak?
If you want to record the display of the iPad without using jailbreaking your iPhone, then you can use a hardware device. The video capture device also offers enables high quality video and audio capture, and it does not drain the battery as quickly as using a background app like Display Recorder.
There are two key devices on the market. Elgato’s Game Capture HD and Hauppage HD PVR 2.
The Elgato Game Capture HD is the best one for Mac owners to get (because the HD PVR 2 is Windows only). Note that as well as the Elgato Game Capture HD you have to own a Lightning Digital AV Adapter (£40 from the Apple Store).
[See also: Elgato Game Capture HD review]
Setting up and using the Game Capture HD could not be easier. Here is how to capture video using an Elgato Game Capture HD:
- Connect the Elgato Game Capture HD to your Mac using a USB cable.
- Connect the Lightning Digital AV Adapter to your iPhone.
- Now plug one end of the HDMI cable to the Digital AV Adaptor and the other end to the HDMI In socket on the Elgato Game Capture HD device.
- Open Game Capture HD.
- Enter the name of your game in the Video Title area.
- Click the red Record button (it turns orange to indicate that it is recording).
- Click the now-orange Record button to stop recording when you have the footage you want.
- Click Edit to view the recording.
The Elgato HD Game Capture enables you to perform simple edits, like cut and take snapshots of a video. It also has built-in tools to share video clips via YouTube, Facebook, Twitter as well as export directly to iMovie and devices like the Apple TV.