Apple has said that it will investigate the death of a Chinese woman, who is believed to have been killed by an electric shock that occurred when she answered a call on her iPhone 5 while it was on charge.

23-year-old Ma Ailun died on Thursday, after she was electrocuted by a charging iPhone 5 according to police.

In an email sent to Reuters today, Apple said: "We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter."

Apple has not commented further, and has declined comment on whether this was an isolated case, says Reuters. This is the first we've heard of such incident, however. In 2008, Apple did recall millions of iPhone 3G power adapters, though, as they were believed to pose a shock hazard.

Following the accident, Ma's sister took to microblog Sina Weibo to warn other iPhone users to be careful.