Apple suppliers are winding down production of the iPhone 5 in order to prepare for the next generation iPhone, dubbed iPhone 5S or iPhone 6, an analyst has said.
In a research note sent out on Wednesday, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek wrote that iPhone 5 sales are "decelerating faster than expected," and that Apple has cut its build orders down from 40 million to 30 million.
"Suppliers seem to be prepping for iPhone 5S builds to start in March," he said, indicating that the slow down of iPhone 5 sales is likely due to anticipation surrounding Apple's next-generation iPhone. SEE: iPhone 6 release date, rumours and leaked images
In the same report, Misek also claimed that Apple is planning to introduce an iPhone with a 4.8in display, but that the product's launch has been delayed until June 2014 due to struggles involving the production of the larger display.
"We believe a summer CY14 launch was originally planned, but Apple tried to accelerate it to stem its market share losses. The earliest Apple could have launched a 4.8in phone would have been this fall (with a target of Oct); however, our checks indicate that Apple's suppliers are running into difficulties trying to scale the screen size from 4in to 4.8in," he wrote. SEE: Apple's bigger 4.8in 'iPhone math' could look like this
Also in his research note on Wednesday, Misek claimed that Apple is preparing for a television-related event in March. He believes that the event will introduce developer tools that would allow third-party apps to be created for the Apple TV set-top box.
It's worth noting that Misek's latest claims have been questioned by many experts, including The Loop's Jim Dalrymple, who refuted the claim of a March television event with a simple "Nope."
Earlier this month, reports from China suggested that the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 have been spotted at Apple's suppliers by a source who claimed that both smartphones will launch this year.