Apple has released its Mac OS X 10.4.2 update.
The update's size may vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Two additional versions of the installer (Delta and Combo) are available from Apple as standalone updates.
Mac OS X 10.4.2 delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for the OS. The update is recommended for all users.
The software enhances multiple elements of the system. It includes fixes for:
- File sharing using AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) and SMB/CIFS (Server message block/Common Internet File System) network file services;
- It offers single sign-on authentication and reliable access to Active Directory servers;
- Improved AirPort and wireless access;
- Updates for Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, including updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers;
- Finder updates include finding on Kind and using Slideshow;
- Synchronizing user's iDisks with .Mac;
- Better management of Dashboard widgets - the Dashboard widget Unit Converter demands less processor usage after installing this update;
- Slight updates for Address Book, Automator, iCal, iChat, Mail, Safari, and Stickies applications;
- Better compatibility with third party applications and devices.
The update also ensures periodic background maintenance tasks run as scheduled.