Acronis True Image 2018 is the latest version of the popular backup tool.
The program provides simple ways to back up your entire PC, specific disks or partitions, or individual files and folders. Backups can be saved locally or to the cloud, while a Sync feature ensures key files are always available on any device, wherever you are.
So, what's new in 2018? The first visual enhancement is backup analysis and statistics where you can easily see a representation of what's taking up the most space in your backup (much like Apple offers with iCloud backups).
Acronis True Image 2018 includes anti-ransomware protection. We're assuming that this is included so your backups are always protected from being encrypted by ransomware, so if your computer gets infected, then your backups remain safe. This will then enable you to quickly restore a previous backup, rather than worry about paying a ransom fee.
The new Conversion to Virtual Machine option enables you to take an existing backup and convert it to a virtual machine. This could be immensely useful if you backed up your entire desktop computer, needed access to the contents of your laptop when you were on the road. Simply convert to a virtual machine and run within VMware Workstation.
Other minor improvements include a faster incremental backup and a laptop power setting which will pause a backup whilst you're in battery mode.
Whats new in build 10410 (see the release notes for more info):
- Wi-Fi support in WinPE media.
- Information about recovery operations was added to the Activity tab.
- Improved the statistics diagram on the Backup tab.
- A link to the Online Dashboard was added to the Account tab.
- In-product notifications about license conflicts were implemented.
- Reworked error messages for the cases when a backup destination is not available.
- A new calendar-based retention policy for nonstop backups to the cloud.
- The ability to re-scan a QR code to reconnect mobile devices to a computer.
- A new default setting to prevent a computer from sleeping during mobile backup.
- Issue fixes and other improvements.
Acronis True Image 2017 has some welcome new features and improvements.