When you next get bored with your home then you could try randomly rearranging the furniture, until you find a layout that appeals. But if that sounds too much like hard work, then we may have a better idea. Sweet Home 3D is a free, open-source interior design tool that helps you plan out everything from a revamped room to entire new house, and includes a 3D preview of how your design will look, so you can get everything just right before you start work.
If you've tried similar tools before then you'll know that they can be very tricky to use, but Sweet Home 3D is different. Everything you need to "dress" a room is immediately available in a tree view: chairs, stools, bookcases, desks, sinks, beds, baths and more. All you have to do is choose what you need, drag and drop it onto the room area, and position the object to suit your needs.
As you work, the program can display and update an "aerial view" of your room, which alone gives you a very good idea of the layout. But if you want the true 3D effect, just click 3D View > Virtual Visit, then use the mouse to move around the room and see how it looks from different angles.
If Sweet Home 3D doesn't contain all the objects you need, then it's easy to add more. The Furniture Import Wizard can import 3D objects in OBJ, LWS, or 3DS formats, and there are plenty of compatible free models available online.
And if you want to share your plan with someone else, then the program can print it directly to a PDF document. Or you're able to export it as an SVG file, which may let them customise the design with their own ideas.
Sweet Home 3D v6.1 changes include (see the full changelog for more):
- Managed the selection toggling of an item in the furniture list without losing the selection of other items in the plan.
- Optimized the cache management of the furniture top views in the plan for similar furniture.
- Fixed the location of the top view of a piece of furniture in its selection rectangle at large zoom factors.
- Used more precise text widths to correctly align multi line texts.
- Fixed how the application is displayed in languages oriented from right to left.
- Fixed wrong parsing of some math expressions when the selected length unit is not cm.
- Fixed 3D offscreen rendering under Windows when setting Z-buffer depth size is not supported.
- Removed wall parts under openings higher than the top of a trapezoidal wall.
- Added support for mirrors on hinge and rail with the sweethome3d_window_mirror_on_hinge_ / sweethome3d_window_mirror_on_rail_ new shape prefixes.
- Accepted spaces in the texture image path of map_Kd items in MTL files.
- Added information about the memory used by the program in About dialog box.
- Improved the user interface of the Furniture Library Editor and Textures Library Editor when used with HiDPI screens under Windows and Linux.
- Added a macOS application bundled with Oracle Java 8 in the portable version.
- Replaced JRE 8u181 by JRE 8u202 in Sweet Home 3D installers bundled with Java.
-Other minor bugs fixes and enhancements.
A simple way to create clear and attractive room layouts