If you want your web code to be at once current and future-proof, you need to be coding in HTML5. If you’re unfamiliar with coding by hand, you’ll want some kind of app that provides a WYSIWYG interface, allowing you to build your web component using similar tools to those found in DTP and image-editing packages.
Not only does the tool provide you with drawing tools, text and 3D objects, it allows you to animate objects on a timeline too. And to help you crack on with your advertising project, Google Web Designer provides a library of components that makes it easy to add image galleries, videos, ad network tools and more.
Everything’s laid out logically using an interface that will feel familiar to anyone with any experience of using third-party web design tools, with tools laid out on the left, the selected tool’s options in a toolbar to the top, a timeline below and panels to the right. You can easily switch between design and code view, preview your project in any web browser installed on your PC or Mac and finally publish your ad or video, ready for uploading.
Everything is slickly presented, and it won’t take long for anyone with experience of using design apps to create ads using the program. One of its strengths is that Google has coded it in such a way as to produce a single ad that will work across a variety of platforms – mobile and desktop – without having to be tweaked or recoded for each device.
Despite its clear focus on advertisers, the program may also garner a following among those keen to create small banner animations for other purposes, such as sharing content via social media.
What's new/fixed in v18.104.22.1689 (see Release Notes for more info)?
- New preview modes for different document types let you easily resize the preview viewport.
- For responsive ads, you can see different-sized versions of your ad at the same time.
- For dynamic ads, you can preview multiple versions with different sample data feeds, all on the same page.
- Build lightweight, mobile-optimised AMPHTML ads for Display & Video 360.
- Browse your document structure to select elements for binding or start typing to filter a list.
- Renamed data schema objects and filters are now more understandable.
- Create and edit sample data directly from within Google Web Designer.
- You can now preview dynamic elements directly on the stage with different sets of sample data.
- Reuse sample data sets across documents by saving them in the sample data library.HTML UI components. Add and configure common UI elements such as buttons, text fields, drop-downs and tick boxes.
- Build creatives for Display & Video 360 in an immersive display format designed for mobile web. Layer images to create the illusion of depth as viewers scroll the page.
- Publish to Display & Video 360. Upload creatives directly to your Display & Video 360 account.
- Ruler guides. Add guides to easily align objects on the stage.
A polished, smart tool mainly for producing web ads that work consistently across multiple platforms. Having said that, Google Web Designer may also appeal to social addicts looking for an easy way to generate polished banner animations too.