- > Which TVs have Apple TV built in?
- > Which streaming devices include the Apple TV app?
- > Which games consoles include the Apple TV app?
- > Which smart TVs are compatible with AirPlay?
- > Which Rokus have Apple TV?
- > Which Google Chromecasts have Apple TV?
- > Which Amazon Fire TVs have Apple TV?
- > Which Samsung TVs have Apple TV?
- > Samsung TV deals
- > Which LG TVs work with Apple TV?
If you're wondering how to watch Apple's TV+ streaming service on the smart TV in your living room, or looking for a way to stream from your iPhone or iPad to the big screen, look no further. In this article we run through all the Samsung, Sony and LG smart TVs that have the Apple TV app built in, as well as the TVs that are compatible with AirPlay and AirPlay 2 - the proprietary wireless standards for sharing videos, photos and music from an Apple device to a TV screen or speaker.
We'll also discuss how you can now use a Roku, Amazon Fire TV or Google Chromecast to access Apple TV+ content. And the new game consoles Xbox Series X and Series S that launched in November 2020 also include the Apple TV app, as does the PlayStation 5.
Apple's TV+ streaming service features shows from the likes of Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Steven Spielberg and JJ Abrams, and the content is available (along with paid-for content from Apple's iTunes store and various other services) via Apple's TV app. We have a separate guide to what's on Apple TV+. We also look into what you can watch for free on Apple TV.
If you subscribe to Apple TV+ (which costs £4.99/$4.99 a month) you will be able to watch the new Apple shows on Apple devices or on a TV if you have an Apple TV set-top box, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast, or one of the following smart TVs.
Which TVs have Apple TV built in?
There are lots of options that will allow you to stream Apple's content to your TV screen without buying Apple hardware. The list of TVs that offer support for Apple TV is ever growing.
For example, in August 2020 LG added the Apple's TV app to more of its models, including TV sets from 2018, which join the 2019 models that already supported the app. LG has also promised to add support for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit by October 2020, so there may be more coming in an update to the built-in software.
Previously, if you wanted to watch content streamed from your iPhone, iPad or Mac, or films and TV shows rented or purchased from Apple's iTunes Store, on your television you needed an Apple TV set-top box plugged in.
With the price of an Apple TV starting at £149/$149, that was a high price to pay. Luckily you no longer need to have an Apple TV plugged into your set to be able to watch TV shows and movies from Apple or stream TV+ content.
Apple now allow its TV app to be offered on certain brands of smart TV and streaming sticks. So far the list includes smart TVs from the following manufacturers (click on the link to jump to a list of supported TVs):
We'll run through the various TV sets and streaming sticks that offer the TV app in more detail below, but first we'll look at some other, cheaper, options.
Which streaming devices include the Apple TV app?
You don't have to spend a fortune on a smart TV or an Apple TV set top box though. You could choose from one of the cheaper streaming sticks available from Roku, Amazon or Google.
The TV app is also available on streaming players from:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Google Chromecast & Google TV (the latter features on Sony and TCl's latest TVs)
Which games consoles include the Apple TV app?
The TV app is also available on the new Xbox consoles and the PlayStation 5:
- Xbox Series X
- Xbox Series S
- PlayStation 5
Which smart TVs are compatible with AirPlay?
In addition to TVs with the Apple TV app installed, many smart TVs now work with AirPlay 2 - which will enable you to stream content from your iPhone, iPad or Mac to the TV screen without needing the Apple TV app. In that case TVs from the following manufacturers are included:
The Apple TV app arrived on Roku devices in October 2019. The TV app is available to download for free from Roku's Channel Store. As well as access to Apple's streaming service, the app also offers access to the iTunes Store and any Channels you might want to subscribe to via the app.
- Roku 4K TV A000X
- Roku TV 7000X, C000X, 8000X
- Roku Smart Soundbar 9101X
- Roku onn Sound Smart Soundbar 9100X
- Roku Express 3900X, 3930X
- Roku Express + 3910X, 3931X
- Roku HD 3932X
- Roku Streaming Stick 3600X, 3800X
- Roku Streaming Stick + 3810X, 3811X
- Roku Premiere 3920X, 4620X
- Roku Premiere + 3921X, 4630X
- Roku Ultra 4640X, 4660X, 4661X, 4670X
- Roku Ultra LT 4662X
- Roku 2 4210X, 4205X
- Roku 3 4200X, 4230X
Note that the app isn't available on some older Roku models.
- You can get a Roku Streaming Stick+ for £49.99 from Argos.
- The Roku Premiere HD is £39.99 from Argos.
- You can also buy a new Roku stick from Amazon.
Which Google Chromecasts have Apple TV?
The Apple TV app is available on the £59/$50 Chromecast that includes Google TV.
The app will appear on other Android TV devices in the future.
- You can buy the Chromecast with Google TV from Google for £59/$50 from Google.
- You can also get the Chromecast with Google TV from Argos.
Amazon might be a competitor when it comes to content streaming, but Apple is putting the Apple TV app on Fire TV sticks. That's probably a good move on Apple's part.
If you already own a Fire TV, or if you were thinking of buying one, you will find the Apple TV app available as download from the Amazon's Apps and Games store.
- Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K (2018)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick - Gen 2 (2016)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick - Basic Edition (2017)
- Fire TV Cube (Gen 2)
- Fire TV Cube (Gen 1)
- Fire TV - Gen 3 (2017)
- Nebula Soundbar - Fire TV Edition
- Fire TV Edition - Insignia HD (2018)
- Fire TV Edition - Insignia 4K (2018)
- Fire TV Edition - Toshiba 4K (2018)
- Fire TV Edition - Toshiba HD (2018)
Fire TV deals:
- The Fire TV Stick 4K is normally £49.99 from Amazon. But look out for deals - Amazon cut the price to £29.99 on Black Friday and did so again during the coronavirus lockdown.
- Alternately the older Fire TV stick is normally £39.99 from Amazon. It went as low as £19.99 for Black Friday 2019.
- The Fire TV stick is £39.95 from Argos.
Our sister site Tech Advisor has more Fire TV deals.
At the beginning of January 2019 Samsung announced that it would start offering "Apple iTunes Movies and TV Shows" on its new TVs and some 2018 Samsung TVs (via a firmware update). In addition, Samsung announced support for AirPlay 2.
Then, in May 2019 Samsung announced that it had added the TV app to select 2018 and 2019 TVs.
The following Samsung TVs feature the TV app and work with AirPlay 2:
- Samsung QLED 8K Q9, Q8 Series (2019, 2020): buy one here
- Samsung QLED 4K Q9, Q8, Q7, Qx Series (2018, 2019, 2020): buy one here
- Samsung UHD 8, 7, 6 Series (2018, 2019, 2020): buy one here
- Samsung FHD / HD 5.4 Series (2018, 2019, 2020): buy one here
- Samsung Serif Series (2019, 2020): buy one here
- Samsung The Frame Series (2018, 2019, 2020): buy one here
- Samsung The Sero Series (2019, 2020): buy one here
And these Samsung TVs offer AirPlay 2:
- Samsung FHD / HD 4, 5 Series (2018): buy one here
- Samsung UHD 6, 7, 8 Series (2018, 2019): buy one here
- Samsung QLED 4K Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9 Series (2018, 2019): buy one here
- Samsung QLED 8K Q9 Series (2019): buy one here
- Samsung The Frame Series (2018, 2019): buy one here
- Samsung Serif Series (2019): buy one here
Samsung TV deals
- Samsung QE49Q80T (2020) QLED HDR 1000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 49in. £999, with £100 off at John Lewis
- Samsung QE55Q90T (2020) QLED HDR 2000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55in. £1,299, with £100 off at John Lewis
- Samsung QE65Q95T (2020) QLED HDR 2000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65in. £2,299, with £200 off at John Lewis at John Lewis
- Samsung QE49Q85TATXXU 49in Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR QLED TV. £1,099, with £300 off at Currys
- Samsung UE65TU8507UXXU 65in Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV. £799, with £200 off at Currys
LG has also confirmed that the Apple TV app will be offered on the following new TVs:
- LG OLED (2019, 2020): buy one here
- LG NanoCell SM9X series (2019, 2020): buy one here
- LG NanoCell SM8X series (2019): buy one here
- LG UHD UM7X series (2019, 2020): buy one here
In addition these LG TVs offer AirPlay support:
- LG OLED (2019, 2020): buy one here
- LG NanoCell NANO 9, 8 series (2020): buy one here
- LG UHD UN 8 series (2020): buy one here
- LG UHD UN 71 series or above (2020)
- LG NanoCell SM 9, 8 series (2019, 2020): buy one here
- LG UHD UM 7, 6 series (2019): buy one here
LG TV deals
- LG OLED55CX5LB (2020) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55 inch. £1,399, with £200 off at John Lewis
- LG OLED65CX5LB (2020) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65 inch. £2,299, with £200 off at John Lewis
- LG OLED55CX6LA 55in Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV. £1,399, with £200 off at Currys
- LG OLED65CX6LA 65in Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV. £2,299, with £400 off at Currys
On Monday 7 January 2019, Sony announced that it would be offering AirPlay 2 on some of its TVs launching later in 2019. When the company made its announcement that January wasn't clear whether Sony was planning to only add AirPlay 2 support for streaming from Apple devices, rather than offer a shortcut to iTunes (this was before Apple TV+ launched).
Apple later indicated at its 25 March 2019 event that the Apple TV app would be available on Sony platforms "Later this year", and yet, it took until November 2020 before any Sony TVs offered the TV App. It certainly seemed that Sony favoured Android TV.
In November 2020 Sony finally added the Apple TV app to TVs from 2018, 2019, 2020. There's a complete list of supported TVs below. (It's a long list!)
These are the supported Sony TVs:
Read our sister site Tech Advisor's roundup of the best TVs, including the best prices currently available.
Even more Sony TVs work with AirPlay 2 - so you'll be able to stream the content from your iPhone, iPad or Mac to one of these Sony TVs.
- Sony Z8H Series (2020)
- Sony A9S Series (2020)
- Sony A8H Series (2020)
- Sony X95H Series (2020)
- Sony X90H Series (2020)
- Sony X85H Series (2020)
- Sony X80H Series (2020)
- Sony Z9G Series (2019)
- Sony A9G Series (2019)
- Sony X950G Series (2019)
- Sony X850G Series (2019 55in, 65in, 75in and 85in models)
- Sony Z9F Series (2018)
- Sony A9F Series (2018)
If your Sony TV has AirPlay 2 support you will be able to stream content from your Apple device to the TV, without requiring an Apple TV.
Sony also announced that its TVs work with HomeKit.
Vizio has also confirmed that its TVs will support AirPlay 2.
The following Vizio TVs will offer support: D-, E-, M-, and P-Series (2017) and Vizioi P-Series Quantum models (2018 and 2019).
- VIZIO OLED (2020)
- VIZIO P-Series Quantum X (2020, 2019)
- VIZIO P-Series Quantum (2020, 2019 and 2018)
- VIZIO P-Series (2018, 2017 and 2016)
- VIZIO M-Series Quantum (2020, 2019)
- VIZIO M-Series (2018, 2017 and 2016)
- VIZIO E-Series (2018, 2017 and 2016 UHD models)
- VIZIO V-Series (2020, 2019)
- VIZIO D-Series (2019, 2018)
If you're wondering whether you can buy a Vizio TV in the UK, though, the answer is probably not, since they only sell in the US and aren't designed for our market.
Apple has a web page detailing the TVs that support Apple's services.
Our colleagues at Tech Advisor have reviews of the best smart TVs.
What Apple products can you watch Apple TV+ on?
The TV sets and streaming sticks above join the following Apple products that include the Apple TV app.
You can use the TV app on your iPhone to search for content, see recommendations, and jump straight to your Up Next list. However, when you choose what you want to watch you will usually be sent to the corresponding app to watch it, be it Netflix, Prime, iPlayer and so on. However, some third-party subscription content might be integrated into the Apple TV app so you won't have to leave the app to watch it.
In addition, if you subscribe to Apple's TV+ service, you will be able to watch and download all of Apple's original content on to your iPhone.
The situation with the iPad is identical to the iPhone. You are able to watch all the content available in the Apple TV app, and if you subscribe to the TV+ service you will be able to watch all of Apple's own content as well.
It always struck us as odd that the TV app wasn't available on Mac. Especially since many years ago the Mac specific Front Row software was a precursor to the TV app we know today.
Apple's TV app finally arrived on the Mac with macOS Catalina in October 2019. With Catalina installed, you can watch any content available via the TV app on a Mac, including TV+ shows and movies.
Apple TV set-top box
As long as your Apple TV box features the App Store (that's either an Apple TV 4 or Apple TV 4K), you can use the TV app to search for content to watch. As with the iPhone and iPad, you are then kicked out of the TV app to watch content in the relevant On Demand app (which you need to find on the Apple TV App Store).
Apple TV owners who subscribe to TV+ are able to watch all the new content on their TV screen.