You might be looking to buy an Apple TV so that you can watch the Apple's new TV+ shows on your TV, or perhaps you need a tool to enable you to stream content from your iPhone or iPad to your TV screen. Whatever your reason to buy an Apple TV, you probably won't want to pay full price - with the cheapest Apple TV starting at £149. Luckily for you, we have pulled together the best Apple TV deals so that you can be sure you aren't paying more than you have too.
There's also a benefit to buying a new Apple product right now - if you buy an Apple TV you'll get a whole year of Apple TV+ for free!
Should I buy an Apple TV?
A quick word first on whether now is a good time to buy an Apple TV. Right now the answer is probably not: we expect that Apple will soon update the Apple TV. Rumours suggest that a new Apple TV is ready to ship.
We hope that when the new unit ships Apple will reduce the price of the existing models. There is also a possibility that the company will introduce a smaller and cheaper Apple TV mini.
Another reason not to spend money on the Apple TV is that it's not the only way to watch Apple TV+ content. If you have an Amazon Fire TV Stick or a Roku, or certain smart TVs you will find an Apple TV app on them that will enable you to tune into Apple's service. We have a separate article that lists all the TVs that include the Apple TV app, or work with AirPlay.
For that reason we have included deals that relate to other ways you can watch Apple TV content without requiring an Apple TV. Check out the Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, and Samsung TV deals below.
Best Apple TV deals right now
The deals right now are few and far between, perhaps an indicator that new models are expected soon. There are deals to be had though, such as almost £10 off at KRCS:
- KRCS has £9.95 off the Apple TV 4K, 64GB £189.05 here.
- BT has £1 off the price of the Apple TV 4K - you can get it for £198.99 here.
Make sure you check out our complete round up of the best Apple deals.
How much does an Apple TV cost?
Apple last updated the Apple TV more than two years ago in September 2017 when it introduced the Apple TV 4K. Apple sells that model alongside the older Apple TV HD (aka 4th generation), which was introduced in October 2015 (four years ago).
In the past Apple has sold the Apple TV for as little as £70/$99. But currently the prices are a lot higher than that.
Here are the prices Apple sells its Apple TV for:
- Apple TV HD, 32GB £149
- Apple TV 4K, 32GB £179
- Apple TV 4K, 64GB £199
Despite both Apple TV media players starting to show their age, Apple's price seems quite high, at least in comparison with other similar media streamers, such as the Amazon Fire TV, which normally costs £39.99 but we've previously seen it on sale for £19.99, and can also stream Apple's new shows. Get one from Amazon here.
Alternatively you could get a Roku streaming player and stream Apple TV+ on that. A Roku Express normally costs £29.99 and you can buy one here.
We have a number of deals for the Amazon and Roku devices as well as Samsung TVs below.
How to get an Apple TV for free
Some companies are offering an Apple TV as part of their broadband package.
Vodafone is offering a broadband deal that includes a free Apple TV 4K. You can check out the deal here. Along with the free Apple TV you get 35Mbps average download speeds, unlimited broadband usage, and unlimited phone calls for £29.95/month.
EE also has home broadband plans that include Apple TV. For £35 a month you can get an Apple TV 4K, unlimited broadband with an average speed of 10Mbps, 5GB mobile data and access to BT Sport. Details here.
Of course, if you purchase, or are given, an Apple TV you will be able to sign up for a years worth of Apple TV+ shows for free.
Best Apple TV deals
So, with the price of the Apple TV being a bit higher than you would expect, how much could you actually save if you shopped around?
We've gathered some of the best deals around for each model, you can check them out below.
Apple TV HD, 32GB
The 32GB Apple TV HD is sold by Apple for £149/$149.
There aren't many discounts to be had, but we have seen the following deals worth flagging:
- Amazon had £6.20 off the Apple TV HD, 32GB, although it's back up to £149 here.
- BT previously had £10 off the Apple TV HD, 32GB, including free delivery. The Apple TV was available for £139 here, but is now back to the usual price of £149.
If any other resellers are discounting it you will be able to see below:
Apple TV 4K, 32GB
The 32GB version of the Apple TV 4K is sold by Apple for £179/$179.
- Amazon was selling the 32GB version for £174.99, but it's now back up to £179 and it's out of stock: here.
If any other resellers are discounting it you will be able to see below:
Apple TV 4K, 64GB
The 64GB version of the Apple TV 4K is sold by Apple for £199/$199.
- KRCS has the Apple TV 4K, 64GB £189.05 here.
If any other resellers are discounting it you will be able to see below.
Apple TV Alternative deals
Of course, you don't need to have an Apple TV to watch things you have bought from the iTunes Store or TV+ programmes. You could buy an Amazon Fire TV Stick, a Roku device, or even a new Samsung TV. Over Black Friday there were some great deals for these alternatives to the Apple TV, although these have dried up now.
Amazon Fire TV
- The Fire TV Stick 4K is normally £49.99 at Amazon here. But look out for deals - Amazon cut the price to £29.99 on Black Friday and did so again during the Coronavirus Lockdown.
- Alternately the older Fire TV stick is normally £39.99 (from Amazon here. It was just £19.99 back on Black Friday 2019.
- Argos has the Fire TV stick for £39.95 here.
We have more Fire TV deals over on our sister site Tech Advisor here.
- You can get a Roku Streaming Stick+ for £49.99 at Argos here.
- The Roku Premiere HD is £39.99 at Argos here.
- Samsung QE49Q80T (2020) QLED HDR 1000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 49in. £999, with £100 off at John Lewis here.
- Samsung QE55Q90T (2020) QLED HDR 2000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55in. £1,299, with £100 off at John Lewis here.
- Samsung QE65Q95T (2020) QLED HDR 2000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65in. £2,299, with £200 off at John Lewis here.
- Samsung QE49Q85TATXXU 49in Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR QLED TV. £1,099, with £300 off at Currys here.
- Samsung UE65TU8507UXXU 65in Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV. £799, with £200 off at Currys here.
- LG OLED55CX5LB (2020) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55 inch. £1,399, with £200 off at John Lewis here.
- LG OLED65CX5LB (2020) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 65 inch. £2,299, with £200 off at John Lewis here.
- LG OLED55CX6LA 55in Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV. £1,399, with £200 off at Currys here.
- LG OLED65CX6LA 65in Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV. £2,299, with £400 off at Currys here.
Refurbished Apple TV deals
You may also be able to pick up a refurbished Apple TV at a discount from Apple.
We've previously seen a refurbished Apple TV HD on Apple's Refurbished Store for £119, here (although it's not currently available).
Check here periodically to see if more reconditioned Apple TVs go on sale on Apple's Apple's Refurbished Store.
Apple TV 3rd gen
Apple no longer sells this model, which was launched in 2012, was the first to ship with the Apple TV app store, and at one point cost just £79/$99. However, it will run Apple TV+ so if you find one for sale you could use it. You might be able to pick one up from eBay, for example.
Not liking any of the deals you are seeing here? We have an article that looks into whether Apple will reduce the price of the Apple TV soon.