The 8th gen iPad may share a 10.2in screen with its 7th gen predecessor, but it's a whole different story under the hood.
Powered with a new A12 Bionic processor, the new iPad 2020 promises 40% better CPU performance, stronger graphics, and is the first iPad to integrate Neural Engine – Apple's AI and machine learning software that allows better image processing and AR (augmented reality) support, along with a smoother Siri experience.
To top it all off, the iPad 8 is also cheaper than last year's model.
The device went on sale on 18 September and is available to buy from Apple, and from a number of other retailers (and network carriers) – though not everyone has it in stock. In some cases, you may need to wait weeks to get your hands on one. But not if we can help it.
Here we're looking at pricing as well as which retailers have the new 10.2in iPad in stock with quick delivery turnarounds.
How much does the iPad (2020) cost?
- iPad 10.2in (2020, 32GB): £329/$329/AUD$499
- iPad 10.2in (2020, 128GB): £429/$429/AUD$649
- iPad 10.2in (2020, 32GB, cellular): £459/$459/AUD$699
- iPad 10.2in (2020, 128GB, cellular): £559/$559/AUD$849
The iPad 2020 is £20 cheaper than the 2019 model which started at £349 – which means there's no reason to pay full price for the 7th gen iPad, which is still available to buy widely, though now at slightly reduced prices.
Our advice remains clear though: if you're choosing between the 7th generation and the 8th, go for the 8th. You'll get a stronger processor and much better value.
Don't forget, you can also get money off the new iPad (2020) if you trade in your old iPad. Unfortunately, Apple won't offer trade-in discounts on non-Apple tablets, in which case you might be better off trading in via other retailers (listed below).
For everything there is to know about the newest iPad, including design and software updates, see our dedicated article.
Where to buy the iPad (2020)?
The iPad (8th gen) is available buy directly from Apple, along with a few other select retailers in the UK.
Shipping is free from Apple, though delivery will take between 7-10 business days in the US and 3-4 weeks in the UK.
For faster delivery we'd recommend the following retailers:
- Carphone Warehouse - In stock, free next-day delivery
- Very - In stock, free delivery on click and collect, or £3.99 for home delivery; will deliver within 1 working day
- Vodafone - Free home delivery in 1-2 weeks, plans start at £36 per month, £25 upfront
These network carriers break the cost up into monthly payments if you don't want to pay in one go, but they do have longer wait times:
- Sky - In stock, delivery in 4-6 weeks; available on contract from £10 per month over 36 months
- O2 - Delivery in up to 6 weeks, plans start at £22.50 per month, £20 upfront for 1GB data (includes 6 months of Disney+)
These retailers are currently out of stock but check back often if they're your preferred retailer:
- KRCS - Out of stock, stock returns in 1-2 weeks
- Amazon - Out of Stock
- Argos - Out of Stock, but will do trade-in discounts
- Currys PC World - Out of stock
- John Lewis - Out of stock
Get an Apple Education discount on new iPad (2020)
The new iPad qualifies for an Educational Discount, so you can pick it up for even less. The Apple Education pricing applies to university students, parents of university students, and teachers or staff of all levels. The discount knocks up to £80/US$100 off a new iPad.
We're separately looking at the best iPad deals of the month if you want to save on a different model.