Updating the HomePod happens via the iPhone app, so you will first need to ensure that the software on your iPhone is up-to-date.
To check that the software on your iPhone is up-to-date go to Settings > General > Software Update. Your iPhone will check for updates and you will either see the message that your iPhone is up to date, or one indicating that there is software to be in stalled.
Once you have the software on your iPhone you are all set to update your HomePod.
Here’s how to update the software on a HomePod
- Go to the Home app on the iPhone (if you can’t see it, swipe down on the iPhone and start typing Home).
- If there is an update you will see a note that an Update is Available.
- Click on your HomePod under Favourite Accessories.
- Click on Details.
- Click on Download and Install.
- Agree to the T&Cs.
- The update will download.
If you don’t see a note that an update is available go into Details as above, and scroll to the bottom to Version and check which version is listed.
It is possible that the update will have happened automatically.
How to set your HomePod to update automatically
If you would like the HomePod updates to happen automatically in the future here's how to set that up.
- Open the Home app
- Click on the arrow icon (top left).
- Scroll down to Software Update, click on it.
- Turn the slider beside Install Updates Automatically to green.
What is the latest software version for HomePod
Version 11.4 is the latest version, it became available on 29 May 2018. It added stereo sound and multi-room abilities along with access to calendars. We've updated our HomePod review now that the software update has bought new features to the device.
Previously HomePod 11.3 (released on 29 March 2018) added general improvements for stability and quality.
Read about the future of the HomePod and rumours that there will be a HomePod mini launching soon.