Apple has presented its latest smartphone - the iPhone 13. You will be able to pre-order the device from around 1pm on Friday 17 September.
Then, from Friday 24 September, the Apple Stores and the usual suspects such as Amazon, Carphone Warehouse, Currys/PC World, KRCS, John Lewis (and in the US Walmart and Best Buy) will start to sell the iPhone.
You'll also be able to pick one up from the mobile phone networks, such as EE, O1, Vodafone, Three (and in the US AT&T and Verizon).
Experience in recent years indicates that Apple prefers its own stores and online customers when the popular devices are delivered, so the first tip is obvious: If you want to get hold of the new iPhone 13 quickly order directly from Apple.
Unfortunately, you are unlikely to be the only person doing this. In our experience a hesitation of only a few minutes can postpone the delivery of a device by days, if not weeks.
So, if you want to be in with the best chance of getting one of the new iPhone 13 models here's what you should do - now!
Not sure which model to buy? We have buying advice here: iPhone 13 series: Which new iPhone should you buy?
1. Create or verify your account at the Apple Store now
It is advisable to check the account you use to make purchases with Apple now. You don't want to find that you need to enter a new credit card or alternative delivery address when you are attempting to order your iPhone. Don't delay because Apple is very likely to take the Apple Store offline before the product launches - so you won't be able to make any amendments to your account. Don't wait until the day pre-orders start to check your account because inevitably on entering the Apple website you will be greeted with an Apple logo and the words: "We'll be right back".
How to check your Apple account
- The summary of your Apple account activities can be found at this link.
- Log in with your password or touch or Face ID.
- Check whether the delivery address is still correct.
- Check whether a current credit card is listed as the payment method.
2. After the keynote find the iPhone you want and get ready to pre-order
Following the keynote it is likely that the new products will appear in Apple's web store. These will lack Buy or Pre-order options, but there should be a Get Ready To Pre-Order button. You will also be able to save your desired variant as a favourites. Here's what to do:
- Choose the iPhone you want, e.g. iPhone 13 or iPhone 13 Pro from this page.
- Click on View Pricing.
- Picked the options (capacity, colour, etc).
- Now click on Get Ready To Pre-Order. Apple now offers you the option to add more accessories and confirm payment information.
- Click on the heart to add to Favourites (you will need to sign into your account).
3. Pre-order iPhone 13 on Friday 17 September
Thanks to your preparation when you return on Friday 17 September you will be able to select the iPhone you want from your Favourites and your bank and delivery details will be all ready. All you need to do is wait!