If you want to listen to a wide range of music on your HomePod you don't need to subscribe to Apple Music for £9.99 a month. There are a couple of other options that we discuss in our How to play music on HomePod without subscribing to Apple Music article, here. If you already have a Spotify subscription, or even if you don't, you can stream music from the Spotify app on your iPhone or iPad to your HomePod. Here's how:
How to play Spotify music on HomePod
- Open Spotify on your iPhone or iPad. If you don't have the app you can download it from the App Store.
- Find the track you want to play. (If you aren't all that familiar with Spotify we have some tips below this section which should help you find music).
- Tap on Devices Available at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on More Devices.
- Now Choose the HomePod, which should appear with a name based on the room it is located in (if your HomePod isn’t appearing here's How to troubleshoot HomePod problems).
You won’t have access to all the Siri features if you are using AirPlay, but the HomePod will still use the built in technology to play the music as the artist intended, according to Apple.
We have more HomePod tips here.
How to find music in Spotify
One thing we have to say about Apple Music is it's a little easier to use that Spotify, but that might just be familiarity. Regardless Spotify is a popular music service. One of the biggest benefits is you don't have to pay anything to use it.
Here are our tips for using Spotify - you can do all of the below withouth paying for a subscription.
- Search - You'll see the Search icon in the middle of the row of icons at the bottom of the screen. Tap that and search for the song you want to play. Your Recent Searches will remain on view, which makes finding the song again tomorrow easy.
- Radio - Tap on Radio in the menu at the bottom of the app screen and you'll be taken to some Recommended Stations as well as Genre Stations including Classical, Comedy, Indie, Rock, 80s, 90s, etc. (Had to be said, the Comedy channel is rather US focused).
- Browse - You can tap on Browse in the menu to see the music Spotify is showcasing, along with New Releases, Podcasts, and Concerts. You;ll also see Genres and Moods here, such as Pop, Workout, Chill and Party.
- Playlists - Apple showcases a lot of Playlists in Apple Music. There are Playlists in Spotify but you find them when you search. So if you search for The Beatles you'll see some Playlists created by other users as well as album and track results.
Also read: How to play Spotify on iPhone.