Some Macworld readers have been reporting that the iPhone gets stuck during the iCloud sign-in procedure. Getting stuck on the iCloud during the sign in process is extremely annoying, because it limits much of the functionality of the iPhone. In this feature, we’re going to look at some of the steps you can take to unstick an iPhone.
So if your iPhone (or iPad) freezes during the iCloud sign-in process, follow these steps to unstick your device.
- iCloud FAQ: Why Apple's online service will matter more
- How to manage iCloud Storage & Backup Settings
- What is Apple iCloud Drive
Fix an iPhone stuck in iCloud sign-in: check that iCloud is working
Before you start to fix your phone, Apple recommends that you check a few things first:
- Make sure iCloud is working. Open the iCloud Support website and click on your country. Now click on System Status and make sure everything is ticked green (especially iCloud Account and Sign In).
- Check that you are running the latest software. On the iPhone tap on Settings > General > Software Update.
- Check that your Apple ID works by logging in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID. Apple offers help for Apple ID problems here.
iPhone stuck in iCloud sign in process
Once you have confirmed that iCloud is working at Apple's end and that your Apple ID works on other devices, try to reset your iPhone:
- Hold down the Power button.
- Slide the Slide to Power Off switch
- Tap the Power button to wake up.
Now try to re-enter your Apple ID to the iCloud sign in area.
iPhone stuck in iCloud Sign In: Authentication Error
If you get a message saying "authentication failed" when signing in, follow these steps:
- Go to appleid.apple.com
- Click Manage Your Apple ID
- Try to sign in using your Apple ID and Password.
- Now follow the steps to reset your Apple ID password.
Fix an iPhone stuck in iCloud sign in: Contact iCloud support
Sometimes there are problems with iCloud accounts that were created in mysterious circumstances. If you cannot use your Apple ID for any Apple services Apple suggests you contact iCloud Support.