Perhaps your iPhone is behaving in an odd manner and you want to capture the strange behaviour to share with someone who might know what is going on?
Maybe you are playing an iOS game and want to record your achievements to share with friends or YouTube followers? Or you might just be wondering whether you can surreptitiously capture some video that's playing on your iPhone and save it.
If that sounds like you then we have a tutorial here that will explain how to record the screen of your iPhone or iPad so you can share it.
Recording your screen is a good solution if you are using the TV App on your iPhone and have found out that it no longer autoplays the next video - if autoplaying next video on an iPhone is a problem for you click here.
How to video the screen of your iPhone in iOS 11
To enable screen recording in iOS 11, you first need to add the feature to your (now customisable) Control Centre:
- Open Settings and tap on Control Centre > Customise Controls.
- Find 'Screen Recording' in the list and tap on the + button beside it.
- Once added you can leave Control Centre.
- Now if you swipe up from the bottom of the display to access the Control Centre, you will see the new Screen Recording button appear (it's a circle with a dot inside it).
- Tap the recording icon to start the screen recording.
- Following a three-second countdown, everything on-screen will be recorded.
- While you are recording there will be a red bar at the top of the screen.
- When you have finished recording tap on the red bar (or if that doesn't register, swipe up and then press the Record button in Control Centre again).
- Tap on Stop.
- Your screen Recording video will be saved in Photos where you can edit the video if you wish.
Note that for certain apps - such as FaceTime - this method won't capture audio, just the video. For advice on getting round this, see How to record a FaceTime call on Mac & iPhone.
How to record videos on your iPhone
Thanks to the new screen recording feature in iOS 11 it is possible to record video that is playing on your iPhone or iPad.
To do so follow these steps:
- Open YouTube (or other video website).
- Find the video you wish to record.
- Get ready to start playing it in landscape.
- Swipe up on the Control Centre and tap on the Record botton as above.
- Wait while the video plays and then stop the recording when it's done.
- The video will be stored in Photos.
Remember that just because it is easy to copy video this way doesn't mean that you should! It's likely that it could be copyrighted, so don't share it now!
How to record on iPhone and iPad that isn't running iOS 11
You can use QuickTime on your Mac to record the screen on your iPhone or iPad if you haven't updated to iOS 11. Here's how:
Open QuickTime on your Mac (read more about using QuickTime to record video on your Mac here)
Right click on the QuickTime icon in the dock, or use the menu to choose New Movie Recording.
Plug your iPhone or iPad into your Mac and make sure it's a trusted device (tap trust on the device when prompted).
In QuickTime, click the small arrow to the right of the record button and select your iOS device. It should then be displayed on-screen, ready for you to start recording.