It's been three weeks since a devastating earthquake and tsunami hit east Japan. At Sony's Sendai Technology Center, they're still cleaning up.

Many electronics factories have been disrupted by the disaster, but few were directly hit by tsunami like this one.

The factory, in Tagajo, is 1.5 kilometers, or about 1 mile, from the sea.

The area outside the front gate is a monument to the power of the tsunami.

Wood, plastic and metal lie among tens of destroyed cars against the factory's front fence and completely block the sidewalk.

Tagajo is the principle base for professional video tapes, blank Blu-ray Discs and other media products, and the remenants of some of that work can be seen outside.

The tsunami didn't just flood the area. It's as if it picked it up, shook it around and dumped the remains wherever it wanted.

The tsunami means potential shortages of some products, especially professional HDCAM tapes used by TV stations and film makers. Sony has no idea when the factory might be able to resume production, but it expecting it will be weeks, not months.

Journalists are not permitted inside the factory, but a walk around the complex gives an idea of destruction caused by the waves.

There is thick mud everywhere.

Cars lie where the tsunami deposited them.

Behind the plant, a residential area is slowly drying out.

The first floors of most houses were inundated with water. Destroyed posessions now line the streets waiting for the first rubbish collection.

The tsunami came through the Sony factory grounds with such force that the back fence of the facility has been flattened in one place. Cars and other debris lie in a canal just beyond the destroyed fence.

As bad as the situation at the Tagajo factory is, some nearby companies have it much worse.

Nearer to the water in the Sendai Port area, the destruction is much greater.

The waves, which were already strong, picked up cars, trucks and machinery and turned into a destructive force that left nothing, no matter how strong, untouched.

A Sony warehouse near the sea was also damaged. The first floor was leased to a local fishing cooperative, but Sony had offices on the upper floors.

Behind the factory the roadside is littered with debris, including a host of Sony products and electronics test gear, but it's impossible to tell where they came from.

Everything in sight is mangled and destroyed.

The rebuilding is likely to take years.