A north Texas man reported Thursday that his Motorola Droid 2 smartphone exploded next to his ear as he was ending a call, resulting in a bloodied face and a trip to the hospital.
Fortunately, no hearing loss occurred, according to a report by WFAA-TV in Dallas/Forth Worth.
And yes, the phone was actually still working after the incident.
The man, Aron Embry, said he heard a loud pop from his just two-day-old phone and then felt blood running down his face as a result of the shattered glass covering, according to the report. He received four stitches at the hospital.
Motorola issued a statement that it will reach out to the customer and investigate the incident thoroughly.
Claims of exploding mobile phones are rare, though not unheard of. Apple responded to claims of exploding iPhones in Europe last year, pointing fingers at customers. Battery makers have also come under fire for exploding cell phones. Reports have even surfaced of people being killed by exploding smartphones, though some reports have also proven to be exaggerated.
iPhone app saves a life
In much happier smartphone news, a high school basketball coach is giving credit to a $1.99 iPhone app for enabling him and an assistant coach to administer CPR on a player in Southern California who collapsed during practice and might have died without their aid.
The incident took place at La Verne Lutheran High School the day before Thanksgiving, according to an Associated Press report.
Coach Eric Cooper said he’d coincidentally studied up on CPR the night before the player collapsed using an app dubbed Phone Aid.
"It was really fresh and clear in my brain," Cooper told the Los Angeles Times. "We are trained in CPR, but the iPhone app was a stabiliser for us."