It's been an interesting 2021 for Apple watchers, with a number of appealing product launches (such as the third-gen AirPods, at long last) and a few significant absences too. But the latest report suggests that the year 2022 will make up for these disappointments, bringing among other things the biggest MacBook Air update ever and a new, more durable version of the Apple Watch.
In a hefty helping of leaks in the latest Power On newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has claimed to reveal all of Apple's 2022 product launch plans. As with all rumours, the information should be taken with a grain of salt, but Gurman has a long history of guessing correctly about upcoming Apple products: at time of writing he has an 87% accuracy rating on AppleTrack.
Here's what Gurman predicts for next year.
- An all-new MacBook Air with an M2 processor and a new design.
- New versions (yep, versions plural) of the Mac mini.
- A new entry-level MacBook Pro.
- A "high-end" iMac.
- A new Mac Pro with Apple Silicon.
- A new iPad Pro with updated design and wireless charging support.
- Updates for the iPad Air.
- Updates for the entry-level iPad.
- A new iPhone 14 series of handsets in the autumn.
- A new iPhone SE with 5G. We think this will land in the spring.
Apple Watch launches
- An updated Apple Watch SE.
- The Apple Watch Series 8.
- A new more durable Apple Watch model, designed for extreme athletes. We've previously heard (from the same source!) that this will be called the Apple Watch Sport and feature a shock-resistant design.
Last but not least...
- Apple's mixed-reality (AR/VR) headset, which - if released - could well be the biggest Apple news of the year. Note that the latest reports suggest that while this is likely to be announced in 2022, it may not go on sale until the following year.
For an in-depth examination of the Apple launches we can expect next year, read New Apple products coming in 2022.