Apple's launched a new iPad mini for 2019, more than three years after the iPad mini was last updated (back in September 2015).
The news wasn't unexpected: a renowned analyst had said Apple would be updating the iPad mini in the first half of 2019.
In this article we will report on everything you need to know about the new 2019 iPad mini, including its release and onsale dates, tech specs, price and new features.
If you'd like to know about its larger cousin, read our separate article about the iPad Air (2019). We also have a comparison of the iPad mini 2019 and the iPad mini 2019. If you're wondering how this all fits in with Apple's tablet range, check out our iPad buying guide and roundup of the best iPad deals. And for a glimpse of the future, read our iPad mini 6 rumours.
Here's the lowdown on the new iPad mini for 2019:
- New 7.9in iPad mini on sale now - launched 18 March 2019.
- Starts at £399/$399.
- A12 chip offers and Apple's Neural Engine.
- 64GB or 256GB versions.
- Still has Home button.
- Supports Apple Pencil 1st generation.
iPad mini 2019: Release date
It's been so long since the launch of the mini 4 that we had been losing faith in this product line ever being updated at all. But bearing in mind the phenomenal success of the mini line back in the day and the popularity of the bargain-priced iPad 9.7in, there's surely appetite for a new model.
On 18 March 2019 Apple launched a new iPad mini. This is the 5th generation iPad mini and it's not a lot different to look at than the 4th generation model, but there are some significant changes on the inside.
There may be some delivery delays, though - on launch day Apple was stating delivery dates in the UK as between 29 March and 3 April.
iPad mini 2019: Price
The new iPad mini is available with 64GB or 256GB of storage - the former will be plenty for most people - and with cellular or Wi-Fi only options.
- iPad mini (2019, 64GB, Wi-Fi): £399/$399
- iPad mini (2019, 256GB, Wi-Fi): £549/$549
- iPad mini (2019, 64GB, cellular): £519/$529
- iPad mini (2019, 256GB, cellular): £669/$679
The iPad mini is still more expensive than the 2018 9.7in iPad, is still on sale. That model - which is the cheapest iPad Apple sells - starts at £319, complete pricing follows:
- iPad 9.7in (2018, 32GB, Wi-Fi): £319/$329
- iPad 9.7in (2018, 128GB, Wi-Fi): £409/$429
- iPad 9.7in (2018, 32GB, cellular): £449/$459
- iPad 9.7in (2018, 128GB, cellular): £539/$559
Wondering how the new iPad mini price compares to the new iPad Air for 2019? The iPad Air price starts at £80 more than the iPad mini. We look at how the different iPads compare here.
- iPad Air (2019, 64GB, Wi-Fi): £479/$499
- iPad Air (2019, 256GB, Wi-Fi): £629/$649
- iPad Air (2019, 64GB, cellular): £599/$629
- iPad Air (2019, 256GB, cellular): £749/$779
iPad mini 2019: Where to buy
The iPad mini (2019) is available to buy now direct from Apple.
EE has announced it will be stocking it: you'll be able to order from EE by 26 March.
We expect additional third-party sellers to begin offering the new iPad mini over the coming days, including the following:
iPad mini 2019: Design
In design terms the iPad mini 4 was pretty close to the very first iPad mini; over the years it's slimmed down and had various features added, but the two devices look largely the same. If you were hoping for a radical redesign this time around you'll be disappointed. Apple hasn't noticeably changed the design of the iPad mini with the 2019 model.
The new iPad mini dimensions are as follows:
- 7.9in screen
- 203.2mm x 134.8mm x 6.1mm
- Weighing from 300.5g
The older iPad mini had the following dimensions:
- 7.9in screen
- 203.1mm x 134.8mm x 6.1mm
- Weighing from 294g
So the 2019 model is a tiny fraction longer and heavier.
Wondering if your old iPad mini case will fit the new iPad mini? Prior to the update there was a rumour that the microphone placement would move but it appears that the older cases are still compatible based on the fact that Apple advertises its new iPad mini cases as compatible with the iPad mini 4 and the iPad mini (5th generation).
You can buy one of Apple's new iPad mini cases here for £45/$39.
The display on the new iPad mini is 2048 x 1536 resolution at 326 dpi, which Apple says makes it the highest pixel density on an iPad.
It's worth noting that this resolution matches the 9.7in display on the 2018 iPad, which is also 2048‑by‑1536 resolution, although just 264dpi.
The iPad mini display is also fully laminated, unlike the 2018 iPad, which we expect will make the new iPad mini build-quality feel superior.
The new iPad mini 2019 is available in Apple's usual Gold, Silver and Space Grey options.
iPad mini 2019: Tech specs
The iPad mini 2019 has matching specs to the iPad Air, in terms of what's on the inside.
Here's what you'll find inside the 2019 iPad mini:
- A12 Bionic chip with its 4‑core graphics engine.
- Apple’s Neural Engine.
- 64GB or 256GB storage.
- Retina display with True Tone technology, which means that the screen will react to the ambient light, which is better for your eyes, and also makes colours more faithful.
- Laminated display (we don't like the non-laminated displays that have appeared on some iPads as we feel they are bendy).
- Gigabit‑class LTE connectivity - that’s 4G LTE Advanced.
- 8MP camera
- 1.2MP FaceTime camera
- 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing, 9 hours of cellular browsing
The 2018 iPad has an A10 chip along with the M10 coprocessor. The storage options for that model are 32GB or 128GB.
The iPad mini (like the 2018 iPad) also offers:
- Apple Pencil support.
- Bluetooth keyboard support.