Just a week after we reported that an iPhone had overheated, melting a mat, video footage has emerged of an iPhone allegedly exploding in a 17-year-old’s pocket.

Finnish news site Kauppalehti has obtained security camera footage of Henri Helminen leaving a van and walking calmly away as smoke billows from his back pocket, he eventually pulls the smouldering device out of his pocket and throws it to the floor. 

Helminen told Kauppalehti: “The phone was working perfectly” before the incident.

These kinds of overheating incidents are frequently the result of a previous knock or liquid intrusion, either of which can disrupt the internal circuitry and cause short-circuits. Ivanov has said she dropped the iPhone 3GS into a swimming pool more than a year before it overheated, but thought she's solved the problem by leaving the iPhone in a bowl of rice for a few days.

You can watch the video here.


Florida woman's iPhone overheats and melts floor mat
Apple fined for self-combusting iPod nano
Reports of new iPads overheating emerge
Apple responds to iPhone overheating issue