The M1 Mac has only been on the market since November 2020, but Apple's already offering discounted models on its Refurbished Store.
This is the second time we have seen discounts on the new M1 Macs on Apple's Refurbished Store. Apple first started selling refurbished M1 models in February 2021. They sold out very quickly back then, so we expect the same thing to happen this time. [In fact a day after we updated this story in April 2021 it seems that the MacBook Air has indeed sold out - but we advise you to keep checking in case Apple gets more in stock!]
In Apple's US and UK refurbished stores you can buy the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air with M1 Chip at a discounted price. In the UK the M1 Mac mini is not available in the refurbished store yet, but there are M1 Mac mini models in the US Refurb Store.
If you order today you could get the new M1 MacBook Pro or MacBook Air tomorrow!
Refurbished MacBook Pro
The best saving if for the refurbished 13.3in MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Chip, 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU and 512GB SSD. It is just £1,269/$1,229 - which is a saving of £230/$220 as it's normally £1,499/$1,449.
Notably at £1,269/$1,229 this new price puts it below the usual price of the 256GB model. This means you can get the model with twice as much storage for less than the price of the 256GB if you bought it new!
- If you want to buy Space Grey 512GB version you can buy it from Apple's refurbished store for £1,269 (£230 off) here (UK) and for $1,269 ($230 off) here (US).
- The Silver 512GB version is also £1,269 (£230 off) here (UK) and for $1,269 ($230 off) here (US).
The cheaper £1,299 M1 MacBook Pro is also on sale on the refurbished store, which means you can get the 13.3-inch MacBook Pro Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU with 256GB SSD for just £1,099/$1,099. A saving of £200/$200.
- The Space Grey, 256GB, 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU model costs £1,099 (£200 off) from Apple's refurbished store here (UK) and $200 off here (US).
- The Silver version of the 256GB model is also £200 off here (UK) and $200 off here (US).
Refurbished MacBook Air
There are two M1 MacBook Air and both are also available in Apple's Refurbished Store. [Note: They were available but as of 8 April have now sold out! But our advice is to check these links from time to time so you don't miss out if they come back in to stock]
The 8-core CPU, 8-Core GPU MacBook Air with 512GB SSD is being sold for £1,059/$1,059 in the Refurbished Store, a saving of £190/$190 on Apple's usual price of £1,249/$1,249.
- The Silver, 512GB, 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU model costs £1,059 (£190 off) from Apple's refurbished store here (UK) and here (US).
- The Gold version of the 512GB model is also £190 off here (UK) and here (US).
- The Space Grey version of the 512GB model is also £190 off here (UK) and here (US).
The cheaper 8-core CPU, 7-Core GPU MacBook Air with 256GB SSD is being sold for £849/$849 in the Refurbished Store, a saving of £150/$150 on Apple's usual price of £999/$999.
- The Gold, 256GB, 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU model costs £849/$849 (£150/$150 off) from Apple's refurbished store here (UK) and here (US).
- The Silver model is here (US).
- And the Space Grey model here (US).
Refurbished Mac mini
The M1 Mac mini is not yet available in the UK Refurbished Store, however you can purchase one from the US Refurb Store.
- The 256GB M1 Mac mini with 8-core CPU and 8-core GPU is $589, down from $699 ($110 off) in the US store here.
- The 512GB M1 Mac mini with 8-core CPU and 8-core GPU is $759, down from $899 ($140 off) in the US store here.
Should I buy a Refurbished M1 MacBook?
As we explain in our article Why you should buy a refurbished Mac, buying from the Apple Refurbished and Clearance Store is a great way to get a bargain for a number of good reasons, including the following:
- They are as good as new, if they were previously owned it would have been briefly, more likely they sat in an Apple Store untouched (since most stores are shut).
- They will have been rigorously tests by Apple and any faults identified and fixed. In fact the Mac you are buying will have had more checks than a Mac coming straight from a factory
- They come with a full year's warranty and 90 days tech support.
- You can use Apple's financing options to purchase it, so you don't have to pay up in one go.
This is a great way to get hold of the new M1 Mac for less than Apple sells a new model for, and it's practically new.