Apple has released a new version of its 10.2.8 update for Mac OS X nearly two weeks after it was forced to pull the upgrade due to a series of problems affecting several older Mac models.
Apple had temporarily removed the Mac OS X 10.2.8 software update while it resolved an issue affecting Ethernet networking on “a small number of Power Mac G4 desktop systems”.
The company says that the 10.2.8 Update (Build 6R73) delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: Audio, Bluetooth, Classic compatibility, Finder, Graphics, LDAP, Power Management, Safari, and FireWire and USB device compatibility. It also includes an updated Ethernet driver for 450MHz and 500MHz dual-processor Power Mac G4 desktop systems, and an update to the battery-status menu. See full list below.
The update also provides updated security services and includes the latest Security Updates.
10.2.8 update versions The Mac OS X Update 10.2.8 for updating systems from 10.2.6 weighs in at 38.9MB, while the Mac OS X Update Combo 10.2.8 (for system from 10.2) is a 97MB download.
A special patch update for people who upgraded to the original faulty 10.2.8 is available at 248K, and includes an updated ethernet driver for 450MHz and 500MHz dual-processor G4 Power Macs and an update to the battery-status menu.
Power Mac G5 owners require a 13MB update from 10.2.7.
There is also a Mac OS X 10.2.8 Server Update available.
Go to Apple's Downloads page for instructions, or use Software Update in OS X's System Preferences.
10.2.8 update enhancements - Windows on external displays connected to some PowerBook computers are drawn better.
-The Bluetooth menu bar item works better when a Bluetooth USB adapter is disconnected and reconnected.
Addresses a situation in which an external FireWire storage device would not become available (mount) and this message would appear: "A disk attempting to mount as 'unknown' has failed. Please use Disk Utility to check the disk."
- Addresses an issue in which some Bluetooth devices may not be available after the computer wakes from sleep.
- Addresses an issue in which some Bluetooth keyboards may show a delayed response when you press a key after the computer wakes from sleep.
- Addresses an issue in which some iBook computers could make a clicking sound when using Mac OS X 10.2.5 or 10.2.6.
- Reduces a potential delay when removing some devices from the Bluetooth pairing list.
- Addresses a potential issue in which an audio application can unexpectedly quit when a USB- or FireWire-based audio device is disconnected.
- Bluetooth preferences correctly displays the Bluetooth menu bar item's status if the item was enabled elsewhere.
- Includes several enhancements for Safari.
- Includes support for USB 2.0 devices, including PCI and PC cards for computers that do not include USB 2.0 hardware.
- Includes several security enhancements.
- Includes an updated Ethernet driver for 450MHz and 500MHz dual-processor Power Mac G4 desktop computers.
- Updates the battery status menu for portable computers.