Apple has launched a new iPad Air and a new iPad mini. The revival of the iPad Air brings back the Air branding three years after the company discontinued that model with the launch of the iPad Pro in March 2016.
In addition to the new iPad Air (which now has an 10.5in screen), Apple has also launched a new iPad mini (still measuring 7.9in), nearly four years after the previous version was introduced.
The new versions of the iPads both retain the Home button with Touch ID, nor is there any noticeable reduction bezel size.
The new iPad Air gets a redesign in comparison to the old iPad Air though. The 2016 iPad Air offered a 9.7in screen while this new model offers a 10.5in display.
iPad Air 2019 dimensions are:
- 250.6mm x 174.1mm x 6.1mm
- It weighs from 456g
In 2016 the iPad Air dimensions were:
- 240mm x 169.5mm x 6.1mm
- And it weighed 437g
The iPad mini has changed a lot less than its predecessor. In terms of size It still features a 7.9mm screen.
The iPad mini 2019 dimensions are as follows:
- 203.2mm x 134.8mm x 6.1mm
- Weighing from 300.5g
Both new iPads offer the following new features:
- Apple Pencil support.
- A12 Bionic chip with its 4‑core graphics engine.
- Apple’s Neural Engine.
- 64GB or 256GB.
- Retina display with True Tone technology, which means that the screen will react to the ambient light, which is better for your eyes, and also makes colours more faithful.
- Laminated display (we don't like the non-laminated displays that have appeared on some iPads as we feel they are bendy).
- Gigabit‑class LTE connectivity - that’s 4G LTE Advanced
- Choice of Gold, Silver or Space Grey
In addition the 2019 iPad Air offers:
- 10 hours of battery life
The 2019 iPad mini offers:
- Highest pixel density of any iPad at 2048-by-1536 resolution at 326 pixels per inch
2019 iPad pricing and where to buy
Here's the pricing for the new iPad models, consumers can choose from cellular or WiFi versions and there are different capacity options too.
You can already purchase the new iPad mini and iPad Air models from Apple, although on launch day, delivery to UK customers was between 29 March and 3 April. In addition, EE has already announced that it will be stocking the iPad Air and iPad mini.
We also expect additional third-party sellers to begin offering the new iPad Air and iPad mini, including the following:
iPad Air 2019
64GB: £479/$499 WiFi or £479/$629 cellular - Buy one here
256GB - £629/$649 WiFi or £749/$779 cellular - Buy one here
iPad mini 2019
64GB: £399/$399 WiFi or £519/$529 cellular - Buy one here
256GB: £549/$549 WiFi or £669/$679 cellular - Buy one here
You can also purchase an Apple Pencil (1st generation) to use with either the iPad mini 2019 or the iPad Air 2019, it costs £89/ is available for purchase separately for £89/$99 here.
Polyurethane Smart Covers are available for iPad mini and for iPad Air in charcoal grey here.