Apple's engineering teams are furiously engaged in finding out what went wrong when a MacBook Pro's MagSafe power adapter caught fire.

In what appears to be an isolated case, Mac user Rogier Mulder returned home to find his MacBook Pro's hi-tech power adaptor had caught fire, reports Ars Technica.

Mulder contacted Apple support, who moved fast to replace his pro-portable. He also posted images of the singed adaptor on an online photo-sharing website. He was impressed by how quickly Apple responded to his problem.

He writes: "Apple, after dealing with this issue, kindly requested me to remove the pictures at least until engineers had a change to investigate this issue. Since Apple support has been very helpful and is getting me a new MacBook Pro as soon as possible, I'm happy to oblige."