Asus ProArt PA249PQ review - Offers superb colour consistency across the entire display

With a rugged, industrial look and superb colour consistency across the entire display, the Asus is one to consider

There’s a certain industrial aesthetic going on with the 24in Asus ProArt PA249PQ, starting with the sturdy stand already fitted in place.

There are one of each of the usual interfaces: HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI and VGA, and a clutch of four USB 3.0 ports down the side.

While the frame is fairly thick, the back is rugged but stylish. It all adds up to a heft 10.4kg and a hungry 72W power consumption.

The menu controls are built into the front side panel and, unusually, are large, physical buttons complete with a tiny thumbstick with which to navigate menus. Two of the other buttons are user-configurable shortcuts, defaulting to brightness and contrast. Like other units, you can’t read the labels when the power is on.

It’s worth noting that the display is 16:10 aspect ratio resulting in resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels, giving some extra height on the vertical.

However, the ProArt PA249PQ is all about colour with a 10-bit colour display and 12-bit internal LUT.

See also Printer reviews


In the tests the Asus ProArt showed 99% sRGB coverage, 94% Adobe RGB and 90% NTSC. That’s an impressive result and the best in this group test. The brightness consistency test showed decent results, with very even values across the entire display and just the top left and right corners darker than the rest by 10% at 100% Brightness; and one corner dimmer by 8.9% at 50% Brightness. Colour consistency was even better, and the best in the test as well, with every zone lower than 3 Delta-E at all brightness ranges. There was one one area that showed anything other than the slightest variation, but even so, this was an excellent performance. All of which made the next test something of a surprise. For actual colour accuracy, the worst was yellow at Delta-E 6.98, but all the other colours were off as well, giving an average Delta-E of 3.23, which was the poorest result from this group of monitors. The contrast ratio of 600:1 was no better than average, and maximum brightness reached 361 cd/m2, just above the claimed 350 cd/m2, and plenty for the brightest of studios.

Find the best price

Best prices today

Retailer Price Delivery  

Price comparison from over 24,000 stores worldwide